Welcome! A variety of literary and arts magazines, on-line and off, have been kind enough to publish Krista’s varied pieces. Her work ranges from politically informed poems and pleas to tender moments revealed by simply being human, She hopes one or more of these published pieces resonates with you. And if you don’t find what your soul is seeking, please check in again. There’s more on the way:
The Good Men Project featured Krista’s poem Perpetual Offense in September 2016. The poem strips away the superficial aspect associated with being a “soccer mom.”
And published “Biodome” on Inauguration day 2017.
The Indianola Review Spring 2016 includes Krista’s poem Abed. The print journal can be purchased on-line.
Uut Poetry hosts some of Krista’s more adventurous work!
- Unjammed is a stream of consciousness poem that was written as an ekphrastic challenge. Uut Poetry published it March 2016.
- Wild er ness is included in Uut Poetry’s January 2016 compilation. Uut is an interesting journal that pairs the written word with a visual art piece.
New Verse News published
- Being Am-ish in an Olympiad World in June 2015.
Sometimes less is more. Two of Krista’s short little works are featured in
Right Hand Pointing Magazine Issue #80.
Shot Glass Journal features concise, impactful poetry. Krista has been published here twice.
Krista’s writing is influenced by trips both taken and not taken. Some of her work has flown and nested at The Literary Bohemian:
How could one be a middle-aged woman and parent of three growing boys and not write about the adventure? Tribeca Poetry Review, Literary Mama, Mamalode, Indiana Voice, Cactus Heart and Brain, Child-Brain, Mother have included Krista’s pieces.
- Before the Fireworks: Langston at 2 Indiana Voice Journal August 2016.
- Interpretive Dance with Apple Indiana Voice Journal August 2016.
- Quiver Mamalode #20 “Better Together” Special Edition (print) (May 2015)
- Expression Literary Mama August 2014
- Jesus Cleans a Spit Valve (print only here) Tribeca Poetry Review 2014
- Barricade can be found in Cactus Heart Issue #9
- We’d Eat Her Indiana Voice Journal May 2015
- Jesus Cleans a Spit Valve (free online here) Indiana Voice Journal May 2015
- First Grade Secret Santa Gift from a Boy I Might Have Loved Indiana Voice Journal May 2015
- Is it a poem or an essay? Let’s call this a “poessay.”The Mountains Between is a short little piece published by Mamalode during its “bad ass moms” month, September 2015.
- Eavesdrop captures a few minutes of childhood and parenting through listening with the ears of a middle-child. It can be found in Mamalode March 2016.
- Joy of Men’s Desiring captures the moment of fear, pride and gratefulness when your young child does something you don’t expect. Mamalode March 2016.
When content leads form the result can be unexpected. Shuf Poetry Issue 6 hosts two of Krista’s poems;
Krista spends much of her time outdoors running, hiking, and digging up the dirt in the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding mountains. The Piedmont Virginian, a regional magazine, featured three of Krista’s poems in the Autumn 2014 issue:
- Community Garden at Blandy: Thanksgiving Day
The Rain, Party and Disaster Society Magazine might be Krista’s magazine soul mate. RP&D has been kind enough to publish several of Krista’s poems that showcase the range of her writing from politically informed pieces to stories that tap tender emotions. The magazine nominated her poem “Frank” for a Pushcart Prize.
- Humanaquarium (pg. 15, Vol. I, Issue IV March 2014 RP&D)
- Pride (pg. 17, Vol. 1, Issue VIII, July 2014 RP&D)
- Oh, Beautiful (pg. 12, Vol. 1, Issue VIII, July 2014 RP&D)
- Frank (pg. 7, Vol. 1, Issue II, Jan. 2014 RP&D) (nominated for a Pushcart Prize by RP&D in 2014)
- At the Furhman Funeral Home (pg. 37, Vol. 1, Issue VIII, July 2014 RP&D)
- Ms. Stirred (pg. 26, Vol. 1, Issue II, Jan. 2014 RP&D)
- The Plot (pg. 22, Vol. I, Issue IV, March 2014 RP&D)
- 7:46pm September 8 (pg. 29, Vol. I, Issue XII, October 2014 RP&D)
- I Wish I Had Just Said Yes (pg. 38, Vol. 1, Issue V, April 2014 RP&D)
- Vision (pg. 7, Vol. II, Issue I, December 2014, RP&D)
- Weapon of Choice (pg. 26, Vol. II, Issue I, December 2014 RP&D)
Unfortunately, The Screech Owl Literary Magazine, which creatively paired poems with visual art, had to close its cover. The magazine had a good run and included several of Krista’s poems. The site was not archived, but links to a few of Krista’s poems live on via The Screech Owl‘s Facebook page. Meantime, Krista hopes to find new homes for:
- Gemination is included in The Sow’s Ear Poetry Review: Summer 2015 Edition (print)